|Image Credit: www.meets.com|
Searching for the perfect school and finding the perfect match is tricky. We have decided this is our year to recruit... there is no going back. We have put our notice in. But, now we are at the mercy of what positions open up at schools that we want to work at. John and I have pretty specialized jobs, so that right there narrows down our opportunities.
There are so many factors that go into choosing the right place. These are our thoughts...
First and for most, we want to be safe, happy and we want our kids to flourish.
No place is perfect. BUT, there are a lot of great places out there that we would be very happy moving to. When positions pop up, it's definitely a conversation of positions, school and country.
If we were going to make a criteria of what we are looking for kind of in order, this is what it look like:
1. Bigger school (like 850-1500 Pre-K - 12)
2. Strong, established school with vibrant curriculum and programs
3. Library position for John
4. Safe country
5. Interesting city/country
6. Warm climate
- Being able to communicate better (either a language we already speak =: English or Spanish OR I language easier to learn than Japanese, preferably with a phonetic writing system).
- Cool living space with a bit more room. Extras: an outdoor area, grill, pool?
We have been talking about moving a lot with the kids, so they aren't freaked out about it. Luckily they have seen a lot of friends come and go, so it isn't as foreign as it would have been to me as a child. When we asking them things about moving, some really funny conversations come up. This is what the kids want in our next home:
1. Two bathrooms in our home
2. To be near a beach
3. A pet
1. To move to Legoland
2. A pet
Part 1 of Our Process of Recruiting as International Teachers